Rug Hooking thru Unemployment

Welcome! I started this site to mark the progress on I rug I started when I was laid off from my job, (Yikes!) in October. It is to be my largest rug yet, estimated to measure 8' x 10' when it's completed. While I spend a great deal of my day searching for employment, I also spend time working on this rug. It has become a great source of joy and creativity. I hope to have found a job by the time I finish the rug. I will put updates to show my progress and also post some of my other pieces.

Monday, January 18, 2010





This rug is called "Sophia and her friends" or "Boston Tea Party"; which ever you prefer. This is the tea party of my dreams! Good friends, great hats, fab furnishings, a pet and lots and lots of cake!! This rug is bright, vibrant and alive! It is rich in color, texture and movement! The background swirls in 4 shades of blue, contrasting with the red, pink, burgundy and grey border. The rug has a sewn in channel on the back for hanging or would be just as happy on the floor!

Sophia and Friends is featured in “The Complete Guide to Collecting Hooked Rugs. Unrolling the Secrets” by Jessie Turbayne.

Rug measures 5’ 10” x 3’ 11”. It’s a biggie!! This rug is edged with cording that is then wrapped in 100% wool yarn. The cording adds weight that keeps the rug edges flat and gives the rug a beautiful, rich, finished look.

I upcycle as much as possible in all my rugs, cutting up suits, pants, coats and skirts to use in my designs. When I can’t find a color I need in my old clothes bin, I use 100% wool cloth that is hand dyed to the color I need.

1 comment:

  1. Is it possible to get a pattern for this rug? I would love this as my next project.

    ReplyDelete